Tuesday, April 21, 2009

YouTube Symphony Orchestra: Tons Cooler Than It Sounds

Last week, several reviewers both from the tech and the music world gave their opinions of the YouTube Symphony Orchestra.  I must admit, I didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to the whole event while it was going on, nor during the ramp up period.

I couldn’t put my finger on exactly why, but both Liz Gannes from NewTeeVee and Anthony Tommasini of the New York Times both called the performance and concept gimmicky.  I think that’s what the concept struck me as – gimmicky.

Still, something compelled me to hit the play button on the video this afternoon, and I’m glad I did.  It isn’t a gimmicky symphony at all.  Typically, with an online video, my trigger finger gets a little itchy a couple of minutes in. 

Such was not the case with this performance.  With musical selections ranging from the utterly esoteric to the emotionally touching, I was enraptured with the whole performance.

You will be to.  Give it a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment