Sunday, June 21, 2009

Persepolis: The Iranian Revolution Explained

imageAs you know, my head’s been wrapped up in what’s now being called the New Iranian Revolution. You can read my extended coverage of it around the blogosphere here.

On the weekends, I try to unplug, and one of the ways my wife and I pass the time is to catch up on our movies.  This week, one of her picks was Persepolis, which is available, amongst other places, on AT&T UVerse’s Video on Demand service.

The movie is a French independent film that was critically acclaimed and took home several honors from the Cannes Film Festival, and follows the life of Marjane Satrapi as she comes of age during the original Iranian Revolution (see the Wikipedia plot summary here – contains spoilers, but gives a good overview of the film).

There are a lot more intellectual ways to catch up on the historical backdrop against which the current events are unfolding in Tehran right now, but this makes for a far more personal and engaging perspective.  I definitely recomend it. 

I wasn’t able to find it on Joost, Hulu, or any of the other usual (legal) suspects, so my best suggestion is to go the old fashioned route and rent it if you can’t find it on your DVR service.

No comments:

Post a Comment